Wednesday 10 September 2008

Man Booker awards. Day 2.

I managed to get my reading copy of 'A Fraction of the Whole' by Steve Toltz.

I have to say that I am enjoying the read, so far only a 100 or so pages in and already grabbed. I wont try to explain, there are many word smiths and critics who have already ladled their praise for this first novel, I would suggest that you get a copy or read the pages of stuff about it on the web.

Steve Toltz is Australian, to this end some of the language requires translation. This in turn means that I have had to find a translation service. It is with great fortune that the RED LION ( my local) has such a service with half the bar staff being from that part of the world. Of course this also requires me to be in the Red Lion to make the most of the translation service. It is a hard life.

The reading copy is from my local book shop 'Barnes Bookshop' independent, proud and offering a service that makes every customer feel that they are welcome and important. Anyway, the dust jacket is a panoramic scene of a small town riddled with very neat bullet holes. Under the dust jacket is a hard back book. Forgive me, I feel a small rant coming up..... When buying modern hard backs, please remember that the vast majority are simply paper backs with a hard cover slapped on, all held together with an adhesive that has a life that can be measured in months.

There, thank you Doctor, I feel much better for getting that off my chest.

Back to the plot, under the dust jacket is a pink binding that matches my post it notes things.


I read through the text picking out what I think are key points, perhaps a chair or the Eiffel Tower. It is all there. Once I have completed the first reading I will distill and begin to work the design. I already have an idea of what I think will work, but I will remain fluid until the design is transfered to the finished book.

No comments: